Why a children’s garden?
- Today’s children have less direct contact with nature, poorer nutrition and spend more time in front of a television or computer screen.
- Gardening is a physical activity that can give them a reason to be outdoors and actives
Kentucky Children’s Garden can:
- Provide a place to learn with “hands-on” opportunities— and to have fun!
- Help develop an understanding of the environment and a love and respect for the Earth.
- Inspire kids, parents and teachers to learn about the importance of plants and how they affect the world.
- Provide a safe place to experience nature and discover the cycles of life.
- Provide motivation to try fresh fruits and vegetables, and other healthy foods to improve their attitudes and behaviors. About 16% of the nation’s youth are overweight.