- What are your hours?
The Dorotha Smith Oatts Visitor Center is open:
March 27 – October 29:
Monday through Friday – 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Saturday 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Sunday 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Hours will change for the winter season beginning October 30.
The grounds are open from dawn to dusk for you to explore.
- How long is the paved path?
- Do you allow organized walks or races at The Arboretum, e.g. a charity 5k?
It is against Arboretum policy to host these events because of the damage they tend to inflict on our collections. We thank you for considering us for your event, but suggest you contact Coldstream Park, RJ Corman Railroad Group or Keeneland to schedule your activity.
- Do you have picnic tables? Can I reserve them?
Picnic tables are available on a first come, first serve basis. They can be found under a large grove of trees near the Visitor Center.
- Do you have restrooms available?
Restrooms in the Visitor Center are open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday and 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. Sunday. There are new facilities in the green building near the parking lot. These are open dawn to dusk every day, except days of University of Kentucky home football games and if UK is closed due to severe weather.
- Do you allow weddings?
Please see the wedding information on the Forms tab.
- Am I allowed to smoke on Arboretum grounds?
Smoking is prohibited on the University of Kentucky campus. The tobacco-free policy prohibits the use of all tobacco products (traditional cigarettes, e-cigarettes, chew, pipes, cigars, hookah or waterpipes, snus, snuff, etc.) on all grounds and parking areas and applies to all areas of the contiguous UK campus in Lexington, indoors and out.
- Are dogs allowed at The Arboretum?
Dog are allowed on the Walk Across Kentucky paved path. They must be leashed at all times, and you are responsible for picking up and disposing of waste. Dogs are NOT ALLOWED in any garden or building, including the Kentucky Children's Garden. Seeing eye or service animals are allowed if properly marked.
- What are the plants with red berries at the entrance?
Ilex verticillata (winterberry)
- What activities are prohibited?
- Collecting of any type of plant materials
- Loud music
- Food service
- Alcoholic beverages (It is against state law to possess or serve alcoholic beverages on University property.)
- Alterations to Arboretum plants or grounds (this includes hanging hammocks on our trees)
- Candles/open flames/grilling
- Scattering of ashes
- Are bikes allowed in The Arboretum?
Due to federal safety guidelines, The Arboretum no longer allows bicycles along the Walk Across Kentucky Path. You are still allowed to ride your bike on the connector path from the Bellefonte neighborhood to our parking lot and on the entrance drive.